After weeks on hiatus and thirsty for new episodes, Amiciness is back to discuss Riverdale 1×07 In A Lonely Place before the new episode premieres later tonight (at the time of writing). We find out where Polly Cooper is hiding. We get to know more about Jughead and his family life. But what we don’t find out, just a heads up, is who the heck killed Jason Blossom? As usual, if you haven’t watched the episode… (Why haven’t you? It’s been out for weeks already on Netflix)
⚠ SPOILER ALERT ⚠
Jughead v Daddy Jones
After Jughead’s dream sequence (which I’ll rave about later in this post), the show opens with Jughead “couchsurfing” at Riverdale High. Suddenly, Archie shows up early to school and catches Jughead. Juggie confesses that he’s been homeless for a while and lived at the drive-in before it closed down. He says he’s been having problems at home with his dad. Daddy Jones “fell off the wagon” as Jughead says.
We already know some tidbits about the Jones family situation. We know that the family fell apart. But what we discover is that Jellybean is living with Mommy Jones. This leaves Daddy Jones, part of the Southside Serpents, and Juggie living on their own. But that’s not the only reason for their family woes: Daddy Jones is also dealing with an alcohol problem. By the end of the episode, F.P. promises to clean up his act in a super emotional scene. (Cole was so good in this scene!) But in the end we find out, and we all know, that it’s not that easy to do.
Coopers v Blossoms
News reaches the Blossom parents that Polly was still in Riverdale but had escaped the home for troubled youth via Cheryl, via her nosy friend, via the Archie gang indiscreetly discussing about it in school. Good job guys! Cheryl uses this information as leverage to convince her mom to rejoin the Vixens. And in crazy Cherly fashion, she has tweeted this out to all her followers. Oh no!
Betty and the Coopers scramble together a search party to find Polly first. But of course, the Blossoms had already formed a search party of their own. And they enter frame in style. All slow-motion looking like they’re going to an equestrian match. Uh-oh! Polly, you’re dead guuurl! But Mommy Cooper had the nefarious, but brilliant, idea of revealing Polly’s pregnancy to the press. This serves two purposes: to persuade Polly to come home to their “loving” family, and to throw a wrench at the Blossoms’ plans now that they know a young Blossom is in Polly’s womb.
Jones v Andrews
Not Jughead and Archie, silly! But their dads! Knowing about Jughead’s homeless situation prompts Archie to ask his dad to give F.P. a second chance. Jughead goes back home to convince his dad to go back to work with a lot of hesitation. F.P. turns up at the construction in his attempt to get his life back.
We already knew that the two dads had some past beef working together at the construction company. But what we didn’t know until now is that they were business partners before! F.P. Jones used to own half of the construction company. But after repeatedly bailing F.P. out of jail, and his stealing money from the company accounts, Fred Andrews kicked him out.
Jughead v The Law
Sheriff Keller and Principal Weatherbee are waiting for Jughead at school. Sheriff Keller calls him out to his office; he’s suddenly a suspect in the Blossom case. Not poor Juggie! 😪
Sheriff Keller pulls up Juggie’s old criminal record of arson, burning down his old school when he was young. The sheriff also brings up his history of being bullied by the football team. Therefore, he now has motive for killing Jason. 😮 Good thing, Fred and Archie show up at the station to help give Jughead an alibi and let him off free for now.
Lodge v Lodge
Veronica is continuing her revenge on her mom by being the typical rebellious teenager: shopping at Glamazon, using up her mother’s American Excess credit card, and drinking and dancing it up in the club. (Good thing she didn’t splurge on some Covergirl makeup.)
Good thing mother and daughter made up by the end of the episode. Hermione admits to forging V’s signature, and they decide on some ground rules. No bringing Fred to their house. No more binge shopping and excessive clubbing. The Cold Lodge War is finally over… or is it?
Polly v Basically Everyone
Poor Polly can’t catch a break. Betty figures out that Polly was just hiding in their attic, just as she did when they were young. Polly still wants to continue with her plan to run away, even with Jason dead. She tells Betty that their parents want the baby put up for adoption.
Cheryl offers her help for Polly and her baby. Of course Betty doesn’t trust the Blossoms, but Cheryl insists that Jason’s baby has changed the whole situation. Betty meets with the Blossoms to talk about placing Polly under their custody. They can give Polly financial and emotional support, or so they say. Never trust the Blossoms! 👺
Cheryl is getting suspicious about her parents’ motives and surmises that they have no intention of taking care of Polly and her baby. So she admits to Betty and Polly, who are now waiting at their meeting place, about the Blossoms’ evil plan. Veronica offers their place to take in Polly for the meantime. Good thing that Lodge war was over! 😂
Riverdale 1×08 is out tonight, Friday on Netflix! It looks like the family feuds continue.
Shirtless (Archie) Tracker
Archie isn’t shirtless this episode (again) but the show gave us something better: Jughead with just a towel on. 😍
- I love the nod to the classic looks of the characters from the Archie Comics during Jughead’s dream sequence. Jughead’s classic crown hat makes an appearance 💗
- “Dude, why’d you stab me in the back?” WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!
- Covergirl product placement again, though not as blatant as last episode’s
- BTW, F.P. Jones stands for Forsythe Pendleton Jones. Jughead is F.P. Jones III (in the comics at least), so his dad is most probably F.P. Jones Jr.
- The Archie gang finally finds out about #Bughead. But doesn’t it seem like Jughead is more into Betty than the other way around? I’ll be sad for Juggie if this is actually the case. 🙁
- A CLUE! Jason Blossom’s jacket is in F.P.’s cabinet. Do the Southside Serpents have anything to do with Jason’s death? 😮
- OK… this might sound crazy, but… Have you noticed how in some, er most, scenes Kevin is focused out of nowhere, even if he isn’t speaking, looking all suspicious? Is the show telegraphing that Kevin might be involved in the Jason Blossom case? Someone back me up here. 😂
- Veronica: “When my dad got arrested, the police, the lawyers, the judge, the courts, they took everything from us. Our houses, our cars, our club memberships, our yacht. Even, I’m not kidding, the clothes off our backs. Anyway, my mom sat me down on the edge of my canopy bed and she told me not to cry because there was one thing in this world that no one could ever take from me, not ever.”
Reggie: “Your trust fund?”
V: “My name, Reggie. Which after telling me no one would ever take it, that is exactly what she did. Like it meant nothing. Like it was nothing. Like I was nothing.”
- “#PollyCooperKilledMyBrother #NowhereToHide #SharpenYourPitchforks” — Cheryl has great hashtag game! I need her to help me on my social media! 😀
- “I just want my son to look at me and not see a piece of garbage.” — F.P. Jones
- “Honestly guys, we should just move” — sage advice from Veronica
What did you think of Riverdale 1×08? Do you have any guesses as to who killed Jason Blossom? Are you convinced that the Southside Serpents have something to do with his death? Sound off with your theories in the comments below.